How to Create Borderlands 3 Mods?
In this tutorial you will learn how to play custom content and enable the level editor with step by step instructions. This is for the latest version of Borderlands 3.
These are the resources you will require to begin your modding.
Oasis Map Hub
- Download all of the resources listed above.
- Extract the ZBL_Patch.zip to your Borderlands directory.
- It should promt you to merge and overwrite files, select yes to all.
- If you didn’t merge folders you extracted it to the wrong spot. Go back and try again.
- Located in the folder you just extracted to:
If you are running Windows 7 run the file win7_fix.bat
If you are using Windows XP or Vista (really…?) run the fix.bat
- STEAM USERS ONLY
If you are not using a steam version skip to step 5.
If you are using steam go to the following directory and delete the file “nvcpl.dll”
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Borderlands\Binaries
- Extract the folders “MapSlots” and “Oasis” from Oasis.zip into the following directory.
- Extract WillowTree#.zip anywhere you prefer, I suggest your Borderlands root directory just to keep everything in one place.
- Run WillowTree#.exe and click the orb in the top left corner, select open.
- From here you will have to find your character save location if it is not automatically set there.
They can be found here:
- Once you have selected a save file the name and level of your character should appear in the bar at the top of WillowTree#, if this is not the character you wanted go back to step 6 and select a different save file.
- Once you have the character you want to access modded content click the general info tab.
- From here under the list on the right hand side “Visited Locations” click New.
- There will be a location called “Oasis” click it, it should add it to the list.
- Click the orb in the top left and select save.
- You should now be able to find the Oasis in your fast travel locations.
- To install custom content you will usually overwrite a “Mapslot” in the “MapSlots” folder.
- Once you have overwritten a Mapslot file you will head into the game and to Oasis where you will find a bunch of signs with numbers on them, the one to use will be the same number of the mapslot you overwrote.
- Sometimes there will be additional packages that come with custom content, these can be placed anywhere within the “CookedPC” folder.
- Packages contain all of your textures, sounds, definitions, etc.
- If you only want to play custom content you can stop here, if you want to access the editor and create your own content read on.
- Go to your binaries folder, right click the Borderlands.exe and create a shourtcut.
- Rename this shortcut to something along the lines of “Editor”
- Right click newly made shortcut and select properties.
- Where it says “Target:” you will see a line of text
- Wrap the entire target in quotations and add -editor to the end, it should look something like this, but not exactly so do not copy and paste my line below.
“C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Borderlands\Binaries\Borderlands.exe” -editor
- You should now be able to run the editor.
There are more modding tutorials how to create Borderlands 3 mods, but before that you can watch video bellow how to mod Borderlands 2 modding Tutorial, Custom Textures for almost everything:
Here is the introductory episode to using Texmod with Borderlands 2 on PC.
This guide covers basic usage of the program, and demonstrates how to create a custom
– Only works for PC versions of Borderlands 2 ( will not work on PS3 / Xbox 360 )
– All re-textures are “client side” meaning that only you will see the skins when playing the game in single player or in multiplayer.
– Created packages can be shared with other people running Texmod, just send them your custom package.
If you would like to see a small series done, I could take requests for items / weapons / anything – and make a video showing how to re-texture them, leave comments on this video with the name of something you would like to see re-textured and the top voted comment will be done.
How To Mod Borderlands 3 for MAC
To mod borderlands for mac you will need an application called Bordertool.
Creating Custom weapon and shields can be done for free on GearCalc.
For further general information on the Mac Edition.
Save Game tips for Mac
The save files for the Mac Edition of Borderlands published by Feral Interactive under OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard are located at
~/Library/Application Support/Feral Interactive/Borderlands/SaveData/Save####.sav
where ~ is the current user directory, and saves are numbered beginning from 0001.
To reset your Save Game
- First quit Borderlands to allow it to save properly.
- Then go to the above folder and back up your current ‘Save####.sav’ Save Game file (you may want to return to it later) before replacing it with an older one.
- Restart Borderlands. You will begin again at whatever stage the older Save Game file was saved at.
Keep a library of your Save Games
- Copy each ‘Save####.sav’ Save Game into its own appropriately-named folder (so you don’t need to keep renaming the file itself).
- Name the folder after whatever stage you have just completed so you know what’s in it.
- Including screenshots of your skill levels, backpack contents etc. in this folder will make it easier to remember what state each Save Game represents.
- Always save your current playthrough stage into this Save Game library before reverting to a previous stage, otherwise you may have to replay everything from that point on, including the bits you didn’t enjoy so much…
- If you have Time Machine turned on you will already have old Save Game files, use Time Machine to restore each one to a new folder then restart Borderlands to see at what point in your playthrough each one is from.
This is very useful if:
- you want to replay a favourite mission, Circle of Duty rounds for instance. Then restore your most advanced playthrough stage when you want to continue your playthrough.
- you have locked up the Crimson Armory looting missions by tripping the second stage before completing the first.
- you keep getting killed by an enemy you just can’t figure out.
- you want to experiment or practise with particular Weapons, tactics, Skill Point allocations etc. before moving on with your playthrough.
Switching your Save Game file into the SaveData folder on another authorised Mac may also allow you to continue your playthrough and keep all progress made on the other computer.
How To Mod Borderlands 3 for PS4
In tutorial I will be showing y’all how to mod Borderlands 2 with a USB drive and no PS4 needed.
How To Mod Borderlands 3 for Xbox One
Modding needs the following
To Hex edit (Xbox):
- Xbox Hard Drive, Or USB stick with latest update
- Xport or Xsata, (http://codejunkies.com/)
- Xplorer360 Extreme 2
- Hex Editor (HxD is recommended, as it is free)
- Hex Calculator
To Edit using Willowtree:
- USB stick compatible with 360/PS3 save file requirements
- USB XTAF Explorer, or similar save file extractor and injector program
- WillowTree save file editing program
- PC to run WillowTree (or Mac running Windows)
Notes: Hex editing has all but been proven obsolete with the latest version of WillowTree.
Note: If you’re using a USB memory stick, before you can use WillowTree, you need to use XTAF to extract the game save data from the hidden Xbox partition of the USB memory stick and copy it to your PC’s hard drive. Then use WillowTree to edit the file, then use XTAF to put the modified game save back on the USB stick.
Unlimited Items In Backpack
First plug in the Xbox hard drive and open it in xplorer (or access the memory stick using XTAF). Open the following:
Partition 3 – Content – Your User Profile (e.g. E0001D66BAB4DDC8)
545407E7 (Borderlands Folder)
Then drag the save file to your desktop and open it with a Hex Editor. Then using the Hex Calculator, (usually built into Hex Editor) Enter the amount of space currently in the backpack and turn it into Hex. (e.g. if it’s a new file being modified, the total backpack space would be 12, so that would be C in Hex) then search for that amount in the Hex code. Add “3-8 0” in front of it so that its easier to find once it has been located. Check that it is correct by looking at the ASCII text field, it should contain the first item in from the game itself. (e.g. “gd_itemgrades”) Replace the amount that should look like this: “00 0C” with “FF FF” if there were 48 item slots, “00 30” would be replaced with “FF FF”. Save the file and exit. Once that is completed, it will become necessary to rehash the file using a Hash Block Calculator. After that is done, simply drag and drop the file back onto the hard drive from the desktop. In-game backpack SDUs will not affect the mod.
Borderlands 3 mods